The Master of Business Administration program with specialization in Sport Communication is designed for students who want to qualify for top sport management jobs, and for working professionals who want to further their education and career. Students will study general business disciplines necessary to achieve success in the corporate and public sectors, as well as develop a sound understanding of sport communication knowledge and skills in the sport industry. This program will prepare graduates for professional roles and managerial positions in the sport business industry.
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited or approved institution, and all applications are reviewed and approved by the Program Director.
The MBA with specialization in Sport Communication program requires the participant to successfully complete a total of 75 quarter units of graduate-level coursework, including 15 units of required coursework, 25 units of Business Administration required courses, 20 units of required Sport Communication courses, and 15 units of elective coursework. In addition, students must either pass a comprehensive examination or complete the Comprehensive Business Project, course BUS 695.
Students working on their Comprehensive Business Project must be registered for the respective course each subsequent quarter until the project has been completed. The capstone project is complete when the final draft of the students’ Comprehensive Business Project has been completed, evaluated, and formally approved by the Comprehensive Business Project Instructor.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited or approved institution.
Participants in the Master of Business Administration with Specialization in Sport Communication program must complete 15 courses from the courses below. CPS 501, BUS 601, and BUS 602 or MKT 616 are required for all students. Students are required to take 5 Business Courses and 4 Sport Communication Courses. An additional 3 courses must be selected from the list of elective courses.
Required Courses: (15 Units)
CPS 501 Writing Skills & Research 5
BUS 601 Financial Accounting from a Managerial Perspective 5
BUS 602 Quantitative Methods in
MKT 616 Marketing Research 5
Required Business Courses (25 Units)
BUS 610 Leading & Managing
People and Organizations 5
BUS 611 Entrepreneurship:
Developing New Ventures 5
BUS 616 Business Law 5
BUS 617 Financial planning &
BUS 618 Information Technology
Entrepreneurial Businesses 5
Required Sport Communication Courses (20 Units)
SPM 622 Foundations in Sport 5
SPM 631 Sport Media &
SPM 633 Strategic Crisis Management
in Sport 5
SPM 653 P.R. Principles & Case
Studies in Sport 5
Elective Courses (15 Units)
BSCM 215 Advanced Public Speaking
for Business Managers 5
BSCM 230 Cross Cultural
BSCM 235 Public Relations Writing 5
BSCM 240 World Wide Journalism
& Expressive Writing 5
BSCM 245 Conflict & Negotiation 5
MKT 612 Integrated Marketing
SPM 624 Governance & Policy in
in Sport Organizations 5
SPM 626 Sport Marketing
SPM 628 Facility & Event
SPM 635 Athlete Management 5
SPM 650 Financial Application in
SPO 651 Ethical & Social Issues in
SPM 654 Sport Law 5
SPM 656 Risk Management in Sport
& Physical Activity 5
SPM 657 Sport Tourism Management & Marketing 5
SPM 658 Sponsorship & Fundraising
in Sport 5
Capstone Course: (5 credits)
BUS 695 Comprehensive Business
Required Total Units: 80
1) All residential courses, other than independent study, are taught in a classroom setting. Each instructor provides students with a syllabus that contains an outline of the course objectives, the course content, student performance expectations, textbooks and related study materials, and evaluation methods used for grading purposes.
2) Courses are traditionally taught in lecture style with group discussions, student presentations and written assignments.
3) Instructional methods also include research projects and experiential components such as internship and practicum requirements. Faculty provide individualized academic advising as needed and encourage ongoing student dialogue in class and online. The University’s grading criteria are presented to students in the course syllabus provided at the beginning of class. The University’s grading policy is designed to meet the highest professional standards of objectivity, fairness, and accuracy.
4) Independent study courses are an in-depth study of a topic and directed by SDUIS faculty or an equally qualified mentor who is approved by the Chief Academic Officer.
5) Student learning performance outcome evaluations include essay and objective examinations, research, reports, and experimental activities.
1) The Master of Business Administration with Specialization in Marketing Degree program is also offered through distance education. Direct education is delivered to students via e-mail. Students submit their assignments to the instructor and class weekly. The instructor reviews the work and prepares a feedback to be sent to the students and class weekly.
2) Each student is provided with a syllabus that contains an outline of the course objectives, course content, weekly assignments and student performance expectations.
3) Instructors work closely with students to monitor their progress.
“Notice to Prospective Students
This institution approved by the Bureau for Private Post-secondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer degree programs, this institution must meet the following requirements:
• Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program.
• Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation, as defined in regulations, by July 1, 2017, and full accreditation by July 1, 2020.
If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, it must:
• Stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and
• Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended. “