San Diego University for Integrative Studies offers a non-degree certification program in Sport Management for students and other professionals interested in working in the athletic arena. This program is designed to provide students with the theoretical and practical training necessary to qualify for key positions in the industry. Students will study general business disciplines necessary to achieve success in the corporate and public sectors, as well as develop a sound understanding of sport management knowledge and skills in the sport industry.
This program will prepare graduates for professional roles and managerial positions in the sport business industry.
Each student must complete 40 quarter units of Marketing coursework.
By approval of the program director.
Course titles that satisfy certificate requirements:
Sport Management Courses (Choose 8)
BUS 611 Entrepreneurship: Developing
New Ventures 5
BUS 612 Managing Franchise
SPM 622 Foundations in Sport
SPM 624 Governance & Policy in Sport
SPM 626 Governance & Policy in Sport
SPM 633 Strategic Crisis Management
in Sport 5
SPM 650 Financial Application in Sport 5
SPM 651 Ethical & Social Issues in
SPM 654 Sport Law 5
SPM 655 Athlete Management 5
SPM 657 Sport Tourism Management &
SPM 658 Sponsorship & Fundraising
in Sport 5
Required Total Units: 40
1) All residential courses, other than independent study, are taught in a classroom setting. Each instructor provides students with a syllabus that contains an outline of the course objectives, the course content, student performance expectations, textbooks and related study materials, and evaluation methods used for grading purposes.
2) Courses are traditionally taught in lecture style with group discussions, student presentations and written assignments.
3) Instructional methods also include research projects and experiential components such as internship and practicum requirements. Faculty provide individualized academic advising as needed and encourage ongoing student dialogue in class and online. The University’s grading criteria are presented to students in the course syllabus provided at the beginning of class. The University’s grading policy is designed to meet the highest professional standards of objectivity, fairness, and accuracy.
4) Independent study courses are an in-depth study of a topic and directed by SDUIS faculty or an equally qualified mentor who is approved by the Chief Academic Officer.
5) Student learning performance outcome evaluations include essay and objective examinations, research, reports, and experimental activities.
1) The Certificate in Sport Management program is also offered through distance education. Direct education is delivered to students via e-mail. Students submit their assignments to the instructor and class weekly. The instructor reviews the work and prepares a feedback to be sent to the students and class weekly.
2) Each student is provided with a syllabus that contains an outline of the course objectives, course content, weekly assignments and student performance expectations.
3) Instructors work closely with students to monitor their progress.
“Notice to Prospective Students
This institution approved by the Bureau for Private Post-secondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer degree programs, this institution must meet the following requirements:
• Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program.
• Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation, as defined in regulations, by July 1, 2017, and full accreditation by July 1, 2020.
If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, it must:
• Stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and
• Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended. “