San Diego University for Integrative Studies offers a non-degree certification program in Sport Coaching for students and other professionals who are interested in pursuing careers in coaching, as well as those individuals who plan to coach athletics on a part-time basis. Students are introduced to the core knowledge and experiential components of athletic coaching that will enable them to gain the knowledge and confidence in their ability to handle the many different aspects of coaching in a competent and professional manner. Participants will also be introduced to the varied coaching theories, and from them develop their own model that outlines a coaching process they can use with individuals, teams, or an entire organization.
Each student must complete 40 quarter units of Sport Coaching coursework.
By approval of the program director.
Course titles that satisfy certificate requirements:
Required Core Sport Coaching Courses (30 units)
CCH 601 Theories of Coaching 5
CCH 603 Coaching Methods 5 CCH 605 Personal Health & Wellness 5
CCH 607 First Aid & CPR 5
CCH 608 Sport Science Applied to 5 Coaching
CCH 610 Sport Nutrition
Elective Courses (Select 10 units)
BIO 630 Psychological Type: Theory
& Application 5
BIO 748 Psychology of Injury & Illness 5
CCH 600 Athletic coaching Business
SPO 766 Psychology of Coaching 5
Required Total Units: 40
1) All residential courses, other than independent study, are taught in a classroom setting. Each instructor provides students with a syllabus that contains an outline of the course objectives, the course content, student performance expectations, textbooks and related study materials, and evaluation methods used for grading purposes.
2) Courses are traditionally taught in lecture style with group discussions, student presentations and written assignments.
3) Instructional methods also include research projects and experiential components such as internship and practicum requirements. Faculty provide individualized academic advising as needed and encourage ongoing student dialogue in class and online. The University’s grading criteria are presented to students in the course syllabus provided at the beginning of class. The University’s grading policy is designed to meet the highest professional standards of objectivity, fairness, and accuracy.
4) Independent study courses are an in-depth study of a topic and directed by SDUIS faculty or an equally qualified
mentor who is approved by the Chief Academic Officer.
5) Student learning performance outcome evaluations include essay and objective examinations, research, reports, and experimental activities.
Online Distance Education
1) The Certificate in Sport Coaching program is also offered through distance education. Direct education is delivered to students via e-mail. Students submit their assignments to the instructor and class weekly. The instructor reviews the work and prepares a feedback to be sent to the students and class weekly.
2) Each student is provided with a syllabus that contains an outline of the course objectives, course content, weekly assignments and student performance expectations.
3) Instructors work closely with students to monitor their progress.
“Notice to Prospective Students
This institution approved by the Bureau for Private Post-secondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer degree programs, this institution must meet the following requirements:
• Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program.
• Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation, as defined in regulations, by July 1, 2017, and full accreditation by July 1, 2020.
If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, it must:
• Stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and
• Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended. “